Street Ahead have been selected to be part of the London Youth, Good For Girls programme. 15 girls aged 10-14 were selected to participate in this fully funded project.
The Good for Girls programme supports young women to access relevant, holistic early intervention mental health support in trusted community spaces. This includes support and guidance from trained youth professionals, and opportunities to develop relationships, skills and tools to maintain positive mental health. Young women get support earlier, meaning fewer require referral to specialist services.
Young Women on Good For Girls:
The programme is focused on supporting Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic young women aged 10-14, whilst upskilling a cohort of 30+ youth workers to become Wellbeing Leads and embed positive mental health practices into their delivery. Over this time young women will take part in weekly activities in their youth organisation to promote positive mental health and challenge stigma. They will:
- access activities that promote wellbeing through arts and sports activities
- discuss emotional wellbeing and issues they care about through Talking Circles
- take leadership to promote wellbeing in their communities
- some will design and deliver a social action project over the summer
- some will attend a residential to become ‘Wellbeing Ambassadors’ for their organisation